GMO Containment in the Field
Genetically modified organisms (GMO) are regulated in each country. Therefore, each country must resolve the issue of taking out GMO bioreporters in the field.
Model of Bioreporters in the Field
In Switzerland, we have obtained permission A120851-07 from the Federal Office of the Environment to use specific vials with caps with a self-sealing septum to take the bacteria in the field. The following diagram is our current model of working with bioreporters to analyse water arsenic levels in the field.
We worked with EPFL Biosafety Office to present our project in Bern to obtain the GMO license to take the bioreporter in the field.
Our process was this:
- Work with a (federally) certified institution (biosafety level 1) to construct the bioreporter
- Work with the appropriate federal office to obtain a license to work with the biorerporters in the field
- In the laboratory, prepare the bioreporters in the approved vials
- Take the vials out in the field, introduce samples into the vials with the GMO bioreporters
- Analysis in the field, or back in the community
- All GMO wastes are properly disposed of (autoclaved) in the licensed institution